Monday, September 6, 2010

Chemise or camicia nearly done


I managed to get all the hand sewing done on the chemise, or camicia in Italian, done yesterday even though my hands are always feeling so frozen. Just need to attach some ties on the cuffs but as usual I don't have the right sort of riboon for that so will have to remember next time I am at the fabric store to pick some up.

OK so next layer. I have decided to have a go making some Florentine stays, or soft corset, sort of roughly based upon the burial stays of Eleanor of Toledo. Evene though my gown is going going to be a laced front Venetian I think that as it's a similiar era the Venetian and Florentine women probably wore very similiar under garments. The painting is By Allessandro Allori and shows a set of Florentine stays.


I am going to make my stays back lacing so I can wear them will most of my Italian gowns which are generally side laced, that way the lacing won't be in the same place and look messy. I will also cut the neckline to match my current Venetians which have a wide square front.

I have found a couple of other costumers who have done similiar stays and have been reading up on their progress.

I will use a couple of layers of canvas quilted together as the main supporting layer and cover with some white brocaded fabric from my stash. The under skirt will possibley be made from the same white fabric if there is enough left. I think the addition of tabs like on an Elizabethan corset will help the stays stay put and reduce the pressure around the natural waistline enhancing comfort so I plan to extend my usual bodice pattern down by around 2 inches and then slice into tabs, an experiment by if it doesnt work I can simiply tim them back off.

No comments:

Post a Comment