Monday, September 6, 2010

well there you go

I was talking to someone who suggested that the cut work in the sleeves may be able to be burnt in with a soldering iron if the fabric was high in polyester. Well being unable to ascertain with any certainty the actual composition of the velveteen I decided to do a little tester. So plugged in my little soldering iron, clipped off a little of the material, waited until the iron was good and hot....and it didnt work even a little bit.
So I guess the velveteen is mostly cotton which of course will not melt.
so back to hand cutting out the design then.
I did read somewhere about someone drawing the design on in PVA and then cutting out once dry to seal the edges so that will be my next test run. Anything that reduces the number of velveteen fleas escaping from the material is a good thing if you ask me.
I also found in my photos that I took in the Louvre a nice close up of a cut work sleeve :) The painting was in the same room as the Mona Lisa! I was more intrigued by all the Titians etc but did take the time to weave through the enormous crowd to see Mona too.
So will attempt to do a somewhat accurate copy of that cut work design I think.
When I locate who the painting is by, It may be a Titian, and work out how to upload pics off my computer I will share

No comments:

Post a Comment